When My Heart is Overwhelmed | Psalm 61:2 | + phone lockscreen

March 29, 2020

I don't know about you, but I've felt overwhelmed lately! It's honestly been part of the reason I've been posting a few more scripture pictures the past week - meditating on scripture throughout my day is always something that calms my heart, and I pray that through the scriptures I share you find a peace in your heart too.


Throughout the week, this verse has been on my mind - "From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I" Psalm 61:2. I want to share with you a few of the things I've been thinking about and looking at this week in relation to this verse. 

This Psalm of David is interesting as it seems to be it was written at a time in David's life where he was forced to leave the temple of the Lord. Of this verse, Charles Spurgeon says the following: "The second verse leads us to believe that it was written during the psalmist's enforced exile from the tabernacle, which was the visible abode of God..." The relevancy of the situation in which David wrote this comforts me with our current restrictions on corporate worship. While we certainly have not been "exiled" as such, we are prevented from meeting together due to the current health crisis in our world. However, as we will see, we are not alone.

"When my heart is overwhelmed" Overwhelment is a sinking, crushing, suffocating feeling, & this word carries with it the idea of being completely without strength in ourselves.

"lead me" - This phrase struck me when I started digging a little into this verse. When we are overwhelmed we may feel that we have nothing left within ourselves to pull ourselves back towards God, but in that place, we can cry out to Him to lead us.
Matthew 11:28- Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

"the rock that is higher than I" - Referring to God. He is our foundation. Our stay. Our shelter and high place. In Him we can find safety and security.
Psalms 18:2 - The LORD [is] my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer...
1 Samuel 2:2 - There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.

When all around us seems out of control, we can depend on the God who is higher than it all. 
Just a couple of simple thoughts this week, but I hope they bless you. 
God bless x 




You Might Also Like

0 comments

I love to hear feedback about the wallpapers on this blog, and I hope they are a blessing to you. Feel free to leave a comment, though please just remember to keep your words God-honouring :) Psalm 19:14 Thanks! :)

All-Time Visits